Back to Main

Life begins to settle again..

Written on July 11, 2007 by Kevin.

Today is my first day at work since I rushed home early on Friday to rush my wife to the hospital only to be turned away. I have a lot of catching up to do and a lot of questions to answer about my new daughter.

Here is a bit of recap from the weekend events. We went back into the hospital and got admitted in at 10:00pm on Friday. At 9:36am, Kaitlyn was with us. My wife progressed really quickly near the end and they began to notice that Kaitlyn's heartbeat was running at 200bpm and they wanted to rush her out. They prepped us by talking about the possible use of c-section and the suction tool. We just wanted her here healthy. They got everything ready for a normal birth and noticed that she was already crowning. It only took 2 pushes and Kaitlyn was here. Simply amazing.

They monitored her for an hour or so and watched her heart rate. At this time we really introduced Rylan to Kaitlyn. At first, he was a bit reluctant but quickly reached out for her hand while she was on the warming table. They held hands and you could tell he knew who she was.

Me and Rylan took off for a bit and let my wife get settled into her new postpartum room. We came back and Rylan picked up right where he had left off. He was kissing and hugging Kaitlyn like he was waiting for her arrival. He can't get enough of her.

We were out of the hospital about 24 hours and back home. Soon after we got back home, Kaitlyn was crying a bit and Rylan, being the helpful big brother that he is, went into our suitcase and got whatever he could to help her. He found the nose sucker which he must have thought she needed. Definitely a helpful brother already. We are working on getting him to be a good helper by getting diapers and wipes. He is transitioning really well.

The past 2 nights, Kaitlyn has woken up to feed and she gets a bit fussy at that time. With Rylan sleeping in our room as well we figured he would be woken up and he has. The first night he started angrily grunting and then came over to see what the commotion was about. Last night, he sat up for a second and after we told him that everything was OK, he went back to bed. Perfect.

Right now we are getting woken up every 3 hours or so for feeding and changing. This was about what we had with Rylan. We can live with this.

My wife had a terrible time at first feeding Rylan but is having a much easier time with Kaitlyn. The knowledge she learned before and now better expectations allow her to coop with it all much easier it seems. It was definitely one of the most difficult things about having Rylan and I am glad that she can have a bit easier time with Kaitlyn.

More updates as the days go on...


Write a comment

Remember this information?